Want to know which are the most expensive players in world football? Discover the latest ranking to date.
It is the FIFA Ballon d’Or triple (until the fourth?) and Barcelona striker Lionel Messi with a starting price set at € 140 million (+40% compared to 2011), the Argentine explode easily the record for the most expensive transfer of the world held by his great rival Cristiano Ronaldo (€ 94 million, Editor’s note). The Portuguese, who still remains a profitable business for Real Madrid as € 2.3 million is now worth more than its purchase price in 2009. Also note that the podium is unchanged, Andres Iniesta left the Blaugrana on the third step with a value of € 68.4 million, an increase of 5.2%. In terms of nations, Spain is the best represented country with three elements, followed by Argentina (2). Portugal, Colombia, England, Brazil and Germany top the list with each player.
Regarding the new top 10 to report that four players make their entrance, three sensational manners. Starting with the serial Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao. Ranking 40th in 2011, the Colombian has seen its value rise by 87% to reach € 56.1 million and now ranks fifth instead of Cesc Fabregas who falls in eighth place (€ 51 million). Second player to enter the top 10: Citizen Sergio Aguero is 7th (€ 53.7 million against € 40 million for 11th). Manchester City is also well represented, as the third member of the history is called David Silva.
In one year, the reigning world and European Spanish rose from 25th to 8th in the world with 47.8% increase in value (€ 51 million). Finally, the fourth is elected Merengue Mesut Özil, 10th with a starting price estimated at € 44 million. And French in all this? At the individual level, the first Habs appear in this classification is the former Lyon Karim Benzema. Thirteenth, the Spaniard is now worth € 42.5 million, or 39.3% more than in 2011. Franck Ribery is meanwhile 23rd (€ 38 million).
Top players the most expensive market in 2012:
1. Lionel Messi (ARG / Barcelona): 140 M €
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (POR / Real Madrid): 96.3 M €
3. Andres Iniesta (ESP / Barcelona): € 68.4 million
4. Wayne Rooney (ENG / MU): € 60.2 million
5. Radamel Falcao (COL / Atlético Madrid): € 56.1 million
6. Neymar (BRE / Santos): € 55 million
7. Sergio Aguero (ARG / Man City): € 53.7 million
8. Cesc Fabregas (ESP / Barcelona): € 51 million
9. David Silva (ESP / Man City): € 51 million
10. Mesut Özil (ALL / Real Madrid): € 44 million
11. Karim Benzema (FRA / Real Madrid): € 42.5 million
12. Franck Ribéry (FRA / Bayern Munich): € 38 million